General Motors Company (GM) is the largest American automaker known for its core brands such as Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac. In spite of their storied history, numerous vehicles manufactured by GM have been prone to severe defects and have also been the subject of recalls, technical service bulletins, and lawsuits. If you own or lease a defective GM vehicle in California, you should call the experienced lemon law attorneys at CCA for a free consultation: (833) LEMON-FIRM.
At CAA – TheLemonFirm.com, our consumer advocacy attorneys are dedicated to holding the big automakers accountable, including GM. If your vehicle has been in for repeated repairs of the same defect, has been out of service for extended periods of time, or is no longer trustworthy, our experienced lemon law attorneys can help. Backed by a proven history of pursuing successful General Motors lemon law claims, CCA can help you obtain a replacement vehicle or a refund of the purchase price. Depending on the circumstances, you may also be entitled to civil penalties, above and beyond what you paid for the vehicle. When you work with our winning legal team, we will enforce your rights and fight back against GM.
General Motors Faces Lawsuit Over Faulty 8-Speed Transmission
A class-action lawsuit was filed against GM over claims of defects in the automaker’s 8-speed automatic transmission used in certain 2015-2019 rear-wheel-drive vehicles. Vehicle owners have complained of violent shakes or hard shifts when selecting a gear with the 8L90 or 8L45 automatic transmission.
The problem has been attributed to excess friction within the transmission and/or torque converter, which can hinder performance and also create metal shavings, causing damage to the gearbox. The affected vehicles include:
- 2015-2019 Chevrolet Silverado
- 2017-2019 Chevrolet Colorado
- 2015-2019 Chevrolet Corvette
- 2016-2019 Chevrolet Camaro
- 2015-2017 Cadillac Escalade
- 2016-2019 Cadillac ATS
- 2016-2019 Cadillac CTS
- 2016-2019 Cadillac CT6
- 2015-2019 GMC Sierra
- 2015-2019 GMC Yukon
- 2015-2017 GMC Yukon Denali
- 2017-2019 GMC Canyon
While it remains to be seen whether the lawsuit has merit, GM has issued 13 technical service bulletins regarding the transmission defect and drivers have filed numerous complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In any event, if your GM is experiencing transmission problems, you should contact CAA — TheLemonFirm.com. Our experienced lemon law attorneys will evaluate your claim free of charge and you will not pay any attorneys’ fees until we recover your compensation.
Recent Recalls That Can Lead To General Motors Lemon Law Claims
In addition to the transmission-related class action and technical service bulletins, GM has also recently issued a number of recalls:
- In June 2019, GM recalled over 1,000 model year 2016-2019 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vehicles due to the incorrect installation of tempered glass in the vehicle’s rear windows, instead of laminated glass, which is shatter resistant. If a serious accident occurs, tempered glass tends to explode, increasing the risk of injury. The use of laminated glass, which can prevent the potential ejection of vehicle occupants who may not be using their seatbelts during an accident, is also required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 226. Dealers have been instructed to replace the rear window of the affected vehicles free of charge.
- In April 2019, GM issued a safety recall of certain model year 2017-2019 Chevrolet Trax vehicles due to improper welding of a joint in the front lower control arms, which could detach, causing the front wheel to toe outward. This can impact steering and handling, increasing the risk of an accident. GM instructed dealers to inspect the front lower control arms and replace them as necessary.
- In March 2019, GM announced the recall of over 26,000 model year 2016-2018 Cadillac CTS, and 2017 Cadillac ATS, Chevrolet Camaro and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles over potential failure of the power steering assist system, which increases the risk of an accident. The vehicles may experience loss of electric power steering assist while driving, which requires more effort to steer, particularly at lower speeds. Dealers were instructed to replace the power steering gear assembly, free of charge.
- In March 2019, GM recalled certain model year 2016-2018 GMC Sierra 3500 and Chevrolet Silverado pickup trucks equipped with dual fuel tanks due to defective fuel level sensors that could lead to an overpressure condition in the front fuel tank, leading to potential fuel leaks and increasing the risk of a fire. Dealers were instructed to replace the rear tank fuel pump module and also inspect the front tank and replace it if necessary.
Contact Our California General Motors Lemon Law Attorneys
If you own or lease a GM vehicle that has been in the shop for repeated repairs, is no longer trustworthy, or that has been out of service for 30 days or more, you may be entitled to a replacement vehicle or a refund of the purchase price.
When you contact CAA — TheLemonFirm.com, you will receive the backing of one of the State’s most powerful lemon law firms. Like many of our clients, you may also be awarded civil penalties — up to two times the purchase price of your vehicle — if we determine GM willfully violated provisions of the California Lemon Law. The lemon law also allows you to recover attorneys’ fees and legal costs, which means that you pay us nothing until we recover for you. If your GM vehicle has let you down, please contact our office today for a free consultation: (833) LEMON-FIRM.